Courtroom Cheers As Alleged Dros Rapist Sent Back To Prison

Nicholas Ninow appeared in the Pretoria Magistrates Court in connection with the rape of a seven-year-old girl at a Dros restaurant in Silverton.

Civil rights groups and political parties are calling for the Dros rape suspect to face the harsher charge of attempted murder.

Nicholas Ninow appeared in the Pretoria Magistrates Court earlier on Tuesday in connection with the rape of a seven-year-old girl at a Dros restaurant in Silverton, Pretoria, in September.

The man allegedly watched the little girl in the restaurant play area and later followed her to the bathroom. According to patrons‚ the mother of the child went looking for her after she noticed she was not in the play area. She allegedly caught her daughter’s attacker in the act.

A video‚ purportedly taken moments after the rape ordeal‚ depicted a naked man who was partly covered in blood. The government has called on people not to share the “disturbing” video.

He is facing four charges including rape and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) and civil rights group Not in My Name argue that the charge of rape is not harsh enough given that the victim of this crime was a young girl.

“We’re here to make sure that an attempted murder charge is added because it’s a child. It’s not rape, it’s murder,” Gauteng EFF chairperson, Mandisa Mashego said.

ANC Women’s League secretary general Meokgo Matuba says the legislation around dealing with rape needs to be changed.

“We’re calling for justice for this young girl and we’re calling for chemical castration,” Matuba said.

Ninow will remain in custody until his next court appearance on 1 November.

Via: Times Live

%d bloggers like this: