Police Dog Abbie Accidentally Overdoses On Heroin In Oregon Jail

A drug-detection dog had her life saved by an overdose-reversal drug after she was accidentally exposed to heroin in a US prison.

K9 Abbie and her handler Eliseo Ramos were conducting a routine search at Clackamas County jail, in Oregon, on Tuesday.

Abbie sniffed out heroin that had been smuggled in and alerted her handler.

During the search, the heroin container was knocked off a table and Abbie was exposed to the drug. She began salivating, panting and blinking rapidly as her head started shaking.

An officer at the jail quickly administered a dose of Narcan for dogs.

Narcan contains nalaxone – a reversal drug for overdoses on opioids such as heroin, fentanyl and carfentanil.

It was squirted up Abbie’s nose and stabilised her while she was transported to the vet for treatment.

She was held overnight and released the next morning.

Via: News Sky

Categories: News

Tagged as: