An airline passenger recently woke up to a midair nightmare: The headphones she was wearing had exploded, burning her face, hair and hands.
The sound of a loud explosion awoke the woman on the flight from Beijing, China, to Melbourne, Australia, she told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau in an account it posted Tuesday.
“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face,” she said. “I just grabbed my face, which caused the headphones to go around my neck. I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire.”